“The OGP provides an additional ‘weapon’ for citizens and CSOs to hold the government accountable.”
September 2016 End date
There is a lack of awareness among Kenyan citizens about the OGP, and only a small number of CSOs have engaged in the process so far. There is little evidence of Kenya’s first OGP National Action Plan being implemented, yet the government is using public resources to participate in the OGP and needs to be held accountable for this. Furthermore, the OGP provides a way for citizens and CSOs to work with the government to achieve open governance, but low awareness is limiting this process.
CRECO plans to raise awareness of and increase participation in the OGP processes by CSOs. It will also increase citizens’ interest by linking the OGP to existing issues that are important to them. To do this, the project will create spaces where CSOs, citizens and the government can co-create and model OGP commitments. This will include a portal to inform, interact on and monitor OGP implementation.
The adaptive learning component of the project will see CRECO engage in collecting evidence about how change is happeing and in regular, structured reflections about how its strategy is playing out in practice.
Founded in 1998, CRECO is a network of 23 urban and rural-based NGOs and CSOs from across Kenya that implement diverse human rights, democracy and governance activities.
The other projects that are partners in Learning to Make All Voices Count are:
- Universities and knowledge partnerships for open government (DLSU, the Philippines)
- Deepening meaningful civil society and local government partnerships in the OGP (InciteGov, the Philippines)
- Assessing the utilisation of e-planning and e-budgeting of sub-national governments in Indonesia (Prakarsa, Indonesia)
- Increasing access to legal information in South Africa as a tool for strengthening access to justice (DGRU, South Africa)
- Evaluating and shaping the OGP's engagement in Tanzania (Oxfam / Tamasha, Tanzania)
- Learning to make all voices count (Global Integrity, USA)
BLOG | July 6, 2017
| Michael Moses and Sue Soal
Learning to make the political personal, and other lessons from…
BLOG | March 7, 2017
| Michael Moses and Sue Shoal
Learning to Make All Voices Count: Pursuing openness through iterative…
BLOG | November 3, 2016
| Michael Moses
Learning to Make All Voices Count across the world: six…