Date added:March 31, 2016Download -2.6MB
This report looks at the processes through which organisations in South Africa and Kenya choose technology tools to use in transparency and accountability initiatives - and how this influences the effectiveness of their work.
The research provides lessons for other organisations and practitioners working in technology for transparency and accountability initiatives.
It also helps organisations to select appropriate digital tools, and to provide an overview of successes and failures that boil down to some basic lessons we all can learn from.
Six basic rules of thumb for organisations deploying ICT for development stand out:
- Map out what you need to know: At the very least include research on the issue you want to tool to address, the needs to the people you hope will use it and the digital tool options already available.
- Think twice before you build: Look for existing tools that can do the job; building new technologies from scratch is complex and risky.
- Get a second opinion: Someone else has probably tried a similar approach before you.
- Always take it for a test drive: Trial the tool; it highlights problems and raises key questions early on
- Plan for failure: Don’t expect to get it right first time; budget time and money to make adjustments.
- Stop and reflect on what you’re doing: Keep thinking about what is working, and what isn’t.
You can download the key findings and executive summary here.Download -2.6MB
About this publication
Publication type Research report
Page length56 pages
Keywordsdigital tools, ICTs, transparency and accountability initiativesDownload -2.6MB
BLOG |June 15, 2016
Technology is never neutral
PROJECT |March 31, 2016
Improving the selection and use of ICT tools for accountable…
PUBLICATION |January 31, 2016
Test it and they might come: improving the uptake of…
More on these themes
PUBLICATION |January 21, 2018
Appropriating technology for accountability: messages from Making All Voices Count
PUBLICATION |January 20, 2018
Supporting innovation and the use of technologies in accountability initiatives:…
PUBLICATION |January 19, 2018
Increasing citizen voice and government responsiveness: what does success really…
BLOG |January 17, 2018
Cleaning house — Experimental evidence on improving citizen engagement in…
PUBLICATION |January 17, 2018
The effect of civic leadership training on citizen engagement and…
PUBLICATION |January 15, 2018
The art of ‘bureaucraft’: Why and how bureaucrats respond to…
PUBLICATION |January 12, 2018
The Free State Housing Campaign: supporting people-led demands for social…