Date added: January 19, 2017Download - 1.8MB
Yayasan Kota Kita (Our City Foundation) is an organisation of governance practitioners who focus on urban planning and citizen participation in the design and development of cities. Following several years of experience with participatory budgeting in Solo city, their research set out to examine participatory budgeting processes in six Indonesian cities, to inform their work – and the work of others – strengthening citizen participation in urban governance. Their research looked at:
- the current status of participatory budgeting in six Indonesian cities
- the barriers and enablers to implementing participatory budgeting
- how government and CSOs can help make participatory budgeting more transparent, inclusive and impactful.
This practice paper describes Kota Kita and its work in more detail, and reflects on the history and evolution of participatory budgeting in Indonesia. In doing so, it contextualises some of the findings of the research, and discusses their implications.
The key themes of the paper are:
- What are the risks and opportunities of institutionalising participation?
- How do access to information and use of new technologies have an impact on participation in budget planning processes?
- What does it take for participatory budgeting to be an empowering process for citizens?
- How can participatory budgeting include hard-to-reach citizens and accommodate different citizens’ needs?
Download - 1.8MB
About this publication
Publication type Practice paper
Publication year 2017
Page length 16 pages
Keywords citizen participation, ICTs, urban governanceDownload - 1.8MB
Theme Citizen engagement and voice Civil society monitoring Hard-to-reach citizens Open and responsive government Participatory budgeting and planning Technologies for transparency and accountability Transparency
PROJECT | June 17, 2016
Improving the transparency, inclusivity and impact of participatory budgeting in…
More on these themes
PUBLICATION | January 12, 2018
The Free State Housing Campaign: supporting people-led demands for social…
PUBLICATION | January 9, 2018
Poverty, voice and advocacy: a Haitian study
BLOG | December 13, 2017
Supporting local learning and adaptation – Unpacking the effectiveness of…
PUBLICATION | November 24, 2017
Participatory budgeting: adoption and transformation
BLOG | November 21, 2017
Class divisions in technology access
PUBLICATION | November 20, 2017
Izolo: mobile diaries of the less connected
PUBLICATION | November 16, 2017
The techno-centric gaze: incorporating citizen participation technologies into participatory governance…
NEWS | November 15, 2017
LENGGO: Public budget tracking holds Kenyan county governments to account
BLOG | November 14, 2017
Citizen accountability in a time of Facebook